Saturday, September 18, 2010

Genetically Engineering food - Satan or Savior?

So I hear about genetically engineered foods a lot these days. People seem overly worried about it. I have to admit I dont get the reasoning behind it. This is going to be a bit of a short post as well. Honestly I dont know much about this particular topic, but everything I've read points to nothing really.

I'm going to start this one with a disclaimer as well. The blog name is "Logical Lros". It is only logical that if you're going to dispute anything you show evidence to back up your claims. That's what I'm actually looking for here.

So we're going to go first to people thinking Genetically Engineering food is bad. And in particular, the Salmon that's coming out. So we have this company that has seen a world crisis that is trying to do something to change it. They're made a fish that reaches peak size in about half the time as current fish do. This would allow us to feed a larger amount of people.
There are those who protest this, calling them "Franken-fish" and talking about how unnatural it is. This isn't the way nature intended (comment about this statement further down). People fear that which has been created by man, not nature. This will likely go further on as well. There are companies in the states trying to grow pork; literally JUST pork. Not a pig, no brain, no organs, just growing the meat (would vegetarians be able to eat this?).

For those who think the above isn't safe, I request an answer to this question: why? I haven't read anything, ever, that shows there are any real dangers to this. All I ever hear is that it's unnatural, that we shouldn't be doing this, that we dont know all the dangers, that blah blah blah. When I read news articles about it these people throw out fake numbers that can't be substantiated in anything I can find anywhere, yes people typically believe them because "It's in the news! How can it not be true?!"

So we've determined that there is no evidence showing genetically engineering food poses a danger, just peoples fear (And please, if there is any evidence, correct me. I've never seen any myself). But what about evidence of the positives of genetically engineered food?

I'll try to find an article on it, but the most prevalent thing I know of is corn. If I remember correctly corn is the first thing even to be fully mapped genetically. They're growing corn in some countries that innoculate people against certain viruses and diseases.

So my ask is this. Are there any REAL dangers here? I dont want "we dont know the long term effects" or "it's not natural" because yes... yes it is.

Humans, by defauly, ARE natural. We evolved in nature (or if you're religious made by god... which if everything is made by god... well you know where this is going). So if humans are made by natuire, why in the world would our actions be considered unnatural? Is a gopher hole in which a gopher lives unnatural? Is a bids nest unnatural?

My biggest issue with Genetic Engineering is this. If we shouldn't do it... WHY is it so easy? If we weren't supposed to do it it should be impossible.

Give me your thoughts! I'll be waiting and watching.


Quote of the day:
"Dont believe in me, believe in the you that believes in me!"

2 comments:

  1. The reason why ppl dont want us to genetically engineer food is because we are tampering with gods creations which is retarded because scientifically speaking god doesnt exist or at least it has yet to be proven.

    yet another example of why religion slows us down and prevents progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm...so lets see, it would be wrong to eat a fish that someone altered genetically, but it would be right to eat all of the natural fish in the ocean until there are none left...makes sense...NOT

    i say, unless you can prove that there is a real danger (ie - cancer causing) then there is nothing wrong with helping out the situation. There is a real issue with endangerment with tuna etc, and if we can create tuna that is used for food solely, then the tuna that are living out in the ocean can begin to heal and reproduce. if there's no health risk posed, where is the problem with this?

    ReplyDelete